||New Upholstered Seat
THIS HYBRID DESIGN combines elements from a traditional English bodger's shaving horse and the dumb-head Zug Stuhl style of Alpine Europe. The result is a hard working cross breed that many woodworkers prefer compared to the more traditional versions.
Bodgers' shaving horses tend to be uncomfortable, with their narrow seat and foot crossbar that requires the user to fully extend a leg in order to get a good grip on a work-piece. The Country Workshops shaving mule has a wide, movable seat and a lateral foot treadle borrowed from the dumb head design. The rotating cross bar (from the bodgers' horse) grips a work-piece much better than the dumb-head design. Our shaving mule also features an instantly adjustable, variable height work support, designed by Kentucky chairmaker Brian Boggs. Chairmaker Tom Donahey developed this version in 1997.
The shaving mules are made from #1 yellow pine, solid birch plywood, hard maple and sycamore. The padded seat is covered with genuine leather.
We also sell plans for making the mule. This is usually a 2-day project; standard shop power tools are useful (but not necessary) for doing accurate work.
- Full adjustability. Both the work surface and pivoting cross bar can be raised or lowered to achieve an ergonomic work height for materials of widely varied dimensions.
- Comfortable padded genuine leather seat slides to any position on the cross beams.
- Large treadle extends back from the swinging arm, making our mule much easier to use compared to shaving horses with a foot cross bar.
- Hardwood working parts.
- Work support is extended in front of the clamp pivot making it possible to position and shave reverse grain stock in front of the pivot.
- Assembles in minutes using 2 adjustable wrenches.
- Compact for convenient storage.
||Shaving Mule (Picked up at Country Workshops)
||Shipped (45 pounds - Minor assembly required)
*Plus zone rate on shipping chart
I've just finished my first big job since geting the shaving mule from you. It worked so well ... and it's comfortable. Thank you and Thomas Donahey."
- Daniel Mack,Warwick, NY
Shaving Mule Plans
||Shaving Mule Plans
Now available as a free download!
How To Order
Tools can be purchased three ways: Order by phone (Office hours: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern Time) using your Visa/MasterCard for payment; order by mail, by clicking on Order Form (you can print the Order Form on your computer's printer, but we do not yet offer on-line ordering); direct purchase at our store and showroom.
Country Workshops Home Page
828-656-2280 (M-F, 9-6 Eastern time)